Take a look around and see how much of resources is being wasted every minute. Take your own house for an example- lights are left on unwanted or there may be a tap leak in some corner of the house, ACs or fans may be left unattended, phone chargers, television sets and other electronic gadgets […]
Take a look around and see how much of resources is being wasted every minute. Take your own house for an example- lights are left on unwanted or there may be a tap leak in some corner of the house, ACs or fans may be left unattended, phone chargers, television sets and other electronic gadgets are left on carelessly. Despite hearing of the Earth hour, Save Water and Save electricity campaigns we don’t follow them cause we are too rich to pay for the extra usage of electricity and water bills. We only add to the Earth’s vows. We know what it means to plant a tree but how many of us actually have taken the effort to plant a single tree till date. When it comes to debate on pollution, natural resources and conservation we are very active but in reality we do not to compact it. We can only talk to not act. An old saying goes- “Actions speak louder than words” but today the scene is completely the opposite- “Words speak louder than actions.”
Despite knowing that Earth’s resources are finite and will deplete in the near future we take no efforts to conserve them. The rich thinks that all the Earth’s resources belong to him and the poor suffers to even get a handful. The rate at which we are wasting water today has highlighted the fact that 50 years down the line India will face water crisis similar to that of Dubai and other Arabic countries. Scientists estimate that a bottle of water was cost more than a litre of petrol 50 years henceforth.
As it is said each drop of water counts. Here are some vulnerable water saving tips-
SAVING WATER IN THE BATHROOM-
• Turn off the tap while brushing and shaving. There is no need of letting water run down the drain for no use. Even the smallest drip from a leaking tap or showers waste upto 20 gallons of water every single day.
• Check leaks in your bathroom. Adding a little food coloring in the toilet tap is an indication for any water leakage without flushing as the color beings to appear in the bowl.
• Reduce the duration of taking a bath. Take shorter showers. Hot water showers waste 8 to 10 gallons of water every minute. Or bathe in a half filled tub.
• While cleansing your razor fill a few inches of the skin with water and then wash the blade.
• Install water saving shower heads or restrictors that are inexpensive and water saving.
SAVING WATER IN KITCHEN AND LAUNDRY-
• Use automatic dishwasher and washing machine only for full loads. While washing dishes by hand don’t leave the water running.
• Don’t let the faucet run while cleaning fruits and vegetables. Soak them in a pan of clear water.
• Usage of a microwave, steaming or a pressure cooker are the most efficient method of cooking. Also using tight lids on pots can cut down water loss.
• The easiest way to re-use water is to divert grey water from your washing machine.
SAVING WATER IN THE LAWN-
• Water the lawn only when required. Watering before sunrise or sunset is the best option.
• While mowing the lawn don’t cut the grass shorter than 2cm. This is because if the lawn is too short then it will burn because of the absence of leaf protection.
• Aerate the soil during the summers to help improve its condition. Don’t over feed the lawn with harmful fertilizers.
• Add a layer of mulch around plants and trees.
OTHER WATER SAVING TIPS-
Use a broom not a hose to clean sidewalks and driveways. While cleaning vehicles use pail soapy water. Using a hose only for rinsing can save upto 150 gallons of water.
Advice young children not to play with hose and sprinklers.
Plant drought resistant lawns, shrubs and plants as they require less water than other plant species.
These tips are simple and well known to all, yet hardly a few take the pain to implement it. Water conservation will happen naturally when everyone around you is well aware of its importance. Taking measures to conserve water at home not only saves a lot of money but also benefits the community as a whole. Moreover saying water at home does not require any special cost outlay. Following the above simple tips can help save thousands of gallons of water everyday. This can reduce the in-house water use by 35%. If an average household uses 130000 gallons per year then upto 44000 gallons can be saved by implementing the above tips.
Fresh water is available to us whenever we need- but only for use not to waste. Remember a little effort from our side can make a big difference. So be alert and ACT NOW.
EVERY DROP OF WATER COUNTS.